Question:

From Orange, California, USA:

My wife, 32, is an IDDM and has maintained superb control of her diabetes since its diagnosis at 16. We are trying to start a family and have been unsuccessful so far. She has several gynecologic problems that have already been diagnosed. The fertility specialist wants to start her on a Clomid [a medication to help improve fertility] cycle to induce superovulation, but I am wary. She had a horrible time with oral birth control pills, both hormonally and physically, and I am afraid of a repeat or worse. Are my fears unfounded? Is this even likely to work?

Answer:

Clomid is a weak estrogen that, in a way, tricks the ovaries into releasing eggs. If used appropriately, it should not cause super ovulation. It is not the same as birth control pills, which contain higher doses of estrogen and progesterone that will block ovulation. Thus, Clomid is probably safe. However, I cannot guarantee any success.

Posted to Family Planning