Question:

I am 9 years old. I want to know what kind of medicine I can take for diabetes. I want to know what can I do to treat diabetes. Can I still eat candy and pop. How can you prevent diabetes?

Answer:

Do you have diabetes? If so then, I assume you take insulin injections. Insulin is the only treatment for the diabetes that most kids get, which is called Type 1. Pills won't work, because they are not insulin; they help a person's own pancreas or insulin to work better. Insulin would be destroyed if taken as a pill, so it has to be given as a shot. There is no cure or prevention for diabetes now. However, researchers are working hard at trying to find new ways to take care of diabetes.

In the meantime, take good care of yourself. Learn as much as you can. Meet with a dietitian to find out how to eat the foods that you like, but still take care of your health.

LM