Question:

From Bethesda, Maryland, USA:

I am a Type 1 diabetic since the age of 2 (I'm 33 now). I've no complications and am in the 7th week of my first pregnancy. My pre-conception glycohemoglobin was 5.4 (less than 6.4 was normal). My doctor tells me to maintain fasting glucoses of 60-100 and postprandial of less than 130 but she felt that the glycohemoglobin was too low. Isn't that a contradiction? Also, I've read other answers in your index about blood sugars and pregnancy and you say not to worry about the occasional high blood sugar, but what if (even though my glycohemoglobin is good) almost every day I register a blood glucose between 200-240? I give multiple injections and bring it down as soon as possible, but is this cause for alarm? My husband is convinced that anything over 130 is going to cause irreparable harm. I am doing the very best that I can -- do the glucoses have to be perfect?

Answer:

From the information in your letter, I would say that you are doing a very good job of controlling your blood sugars. It will not be perfect, but that is acceptable. However, do your best to adjust your insulin to prevent those 200-240 values. The mothers that have trouble are those that have constantly elevated blood sugar values. Your glycohemoglobin is not too low either.

[Editor's comment: I'm not sure why your doctor is concerned about the glycohemoglobin being "too low" unless he/she's worried that you might have a severe insulin reaction. You should be carrying sugar energy to treat a low blood sugar at all times (see How to protect from Hypoglycemia for some advice). WWQ]

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c and Family Planning