From New York City, New York, USA:

I am a 24 year female who has been diabetic for a little over one year. About three weeks ago, I switched my insulins from Regular and NPH to Humalog and NPH. I usually took 2 units of Regular in the morning and 2 units of Regular in the evening. My doctor told me that a unit of Regular is the same as a unit of Humalog. However, taking 2 units of Humalog brings me very low, for a long period of time. With Humalog I have been taking only one to two units the entire day, and every other day I do not need to take any Humalog - I just take NPH. Is this common? Do must people's insulin dosage decrease when switching to Humalog?

Everyone's response to insulin of any type varies. You need to continue to experiment and find out what gives you the best control. Talk it over with your physician.

Posted to Insulin Analogs