Question:

From Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA:

One year ago my friend's 6 year old child had a blood sugar of 1200. He was diagnosed as Type 1 and put on insulin. Shortly afterwards he went into the honeymoon stage and his parents took him off insulin which lasted for 5 months. When his blood sugar began to spike again they decided to go the low carb route because they saw how well I controlled my low blood sugar eating this way. Months later his levels are still 80-90's in the A.M. and up to 200 after dinner. No insulin -- his mother claims he must be making his own again. I am very concerned however because he has gotten so thin over the past year -- down 8 pounds from before he was sick. He has grown an inch but has not gained any weight since the honeymoon period. Being a friend I have said very little but I need to know if they are unknowingly putting him at risk.

Answer:

I've seen children like this go into ketoacidosis very quickly when the remission [honeymoon] wears off suddenly. Although I don't know the entire story, if the child isn't gaining weight and growing normally, most likely he needs more food and insulin to use it. If the family hasn't consulted with a pediatric endocrinologist, they should.

Posted to Honeymoon