Question:

From West Virginia, USA:

I have had diabetes for 11 years now. My husband and I have had one healthy baby and were wondering if it would be wise to have another. I haven't had any serious problems yet, but it's just been so long since I became diabetic, I didn't know if it would be healthy for me or a baby. I'm 22 and became diabetic when I was 11.

Answer:

As long as you are maintaining good glucose control and do not have secondary complications such as hypertension, eye disease or kidney disease, then now is as good a time as any to try for another baby.

Posted to Family Planning

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.