Question:

From Leyte, Philippines:

I have a friend, 20 years old, who injected too much insulin and has been in a coma for about one month now. Can you tell me what are the chances that she would be able to completely recover and how long would it take? She developed diabetes when she was 12 years old. What could be the effect on her brain?

Answer:

I am sorry to hear about your friend's tragedy. Without knowing the details it would be difficult to give you a prognosis. The development of a month-long coma from injecting too much insulin is extremely rare unless extremely high doses are intentionally injected, the person suffered head injury during loss of consciousness with low blood sugar, or the person also ingested another toxic agent. Anyone who has been comatose for a month has an extremely guarded prognosis, but patients have been known to wake up after over a month of being comatose from other causes.