Question:

From Ohio, USA:

My father is an over the road truck driver. He has Type 2 diabetes. He was diagnosed 7 years ago. Diabetes runs very bad in our family. My father is on the road for 6 weeks at a time and moving 24 hours a day 7 days a week. He never stops and stays at any hotels, so the only place for him to stop and eat is in the truck stops. Now everybody knows the food in the truck stops are fried and never baked. My father has been overweight for a long time. He has been working on losing his weight and has lost about 30-40 pounds.

The problem is, there is no information on eating out for diabetics. Is there any information that would help him in his fight for diabetes? He has to get his sugar and cholesterol in line or they are going to put him on insulin.

Answer:

It sounds like your father has really done a good job getting some weight off and I can tell you are very concerned. I would highly recommend he make an appointment with a dietitian who is skilled in working with people with diabetes to give him some ideas on how to eat a more healthy diet on the road. It sounds like the high fat foods are really increasing his cholesterol level. Exercise is another important factor in lowering weight and cholesterol and that is very difficult on the road.

JM

[Editor's comment: Fast Food Facts by Marion Franz, MS, RD, LD, CDE, contains nutritional information for most major fast-food chains in the United States. The book is small and might help your father choose foods that are better for him while he is on the road. JSH]