Question:

From Amman, Jordan:

Can you provide me with the best clinic and address in U.S.A. for childhood diabetes?

Answer:

In response to your question regarding "the best" facility for treating diabetes, I believe that a program which includes the full spectrum of diabetes care represents my concept of "the best." By full spectrum, I mean one which includes nutritional, psychological, physical, and medical interventions. Check around and I suspect you will find a program near you which meets that criteria. The most important component of care is the patient! If you determine that you will do your best to take care of your diabetes, then the other treatment modalities can only enhance your progress.

CMB

[Editor's comment: Several members of the Diabetes Team at Children with Diabetes have suggested that the Joslin Clinic in Boston, Massachusetts, would be identified as the "best" clinic in the United States. There are many other choices that are probably equally good, although not as well known. WWQ]

[Editor's comment: This question generated some internal debate among the Diabetes Team. Some members felt it inappropriate to mention a specific clinic by name, while others felt that people for whom local care was lacking needed some place to start in their search for top-notch diabetes care for their children. There are many excellent clinics and hospitals in the United States and around the world for children with diabetes. Key to any top-notch clinic is a multi-disciplinary approach, as Craig Broadhurst mentions in her answer above. While the Joslin center in Boston is very well known and respected, there are many others, including the Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes in Denver, Colorado. JSH]