Question:

From Sunnyvale, California, USA:

I'm newly diagnosed with gestational diabetes. My numbers are all very high -- fasting 148, 1 hour after meals about 180. I was started on insulin yesterday, but it doesn't seem to be making much difference.

My primary concern is ketones. I've been checking morning and evening on the advice of my nutritionist, and they've been high (usually 80). My endocrinologist and obstetrician don't seem concerned, but most other sources of information seem to indicate that I should consider this a problem. Where would you suggest I go from here?

Answer:

There will be a period of adjustment to determine the proper dose of insulin for you. This may take a few days or a week. Urine ketones are usually not a major concern as long as your blood sugar is under good control and you do not have serum ketones.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes