Question:

From Toronto, Ontario, Canada:

I'm a 22 year old woman who was diagnosed with Type 1 at age 14. In the past three years, I've noticed an increase & thickening of hair growth. Because there are no other real signs of masculinization (body shape, deepening of the voice, or genital swelling), I'm reluctant to say this is hirsutism. I also associate hirsutism and polycystic ovaries with obesity. Although I'm not obese, I do work hard at weight loss, with only marginal success (I work out four times a week). With that said, I suppose my question is, are there any endocrine disorders I should be considering, in which my diabetes is also a factor, that would cause this excess hair growth? I also must confess to a poor history. I no longer have a regular doctor, nor have I for four years.

Answer:

Without a physical examination and additional tests it is difficult to make any recommendations. I would suggest that you make an appointment with a physician to further discuss this.