Question:

From Florida, USA:

My wife has diabetes. She says she can have fatty foods because they are low in sugar. Is that true?

Answer:

The answer is hard to give because fatty foods are to be used in moderation by all people who are trying to live a healthy lifestyle. I don't know if your wife has a weight problem or a high cholesterol, LDL Cholesterol, or other health problems that might be affected by a high fat diet. In general, all foods in moderation can be a good guideline, but certainly a look at the Food Guide Pyramid might help to put things into perspective. The normal recommendation for fat intake is 30% of the total calories unless there are other problems like the ones I mentioned.

JM