From New York, USA:

I am a 39 year old female, 10 years insulin dependant, with relatively good control (average 150 blood sugar). Suddenly, my blood sugar is very high (200-300), even on 2x-3x insulin dosages. Exercise no help. Tested blood, CT scan of chest and abdomen, and all were negative. Is there any reason why my blood sugar would suddenly go high and not respond to insulin?

It sounds like you are looking for an infection as the cause of the unexplained increased insulin requirements. If you had a CT of the chest, I assume you are coughing. Sinusitis or bronchitis can increase the blood sugars tremendously and may respond to antibiotics especially one that covers the organism mycoplasma pneumonia. Other easily overlooked sources of infection include strep throat, tooth abscess, and urine infection. Strep throat can cause mainly abdominal symptoms in some people.

Other possibilities to consider is that your insulin somehow has spoiled either before or after reaching your home (exposure to heat or freezing). I would suggest purchasing new bottles of insulin (save the old ones) and see if your blood sugar improves.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA