Question:

From West Virginia, USA:

My 8 year old son has recently been diagnosed as a borderline diabetic. At the time he was not ill and did not have an infection. His blood sugar was 145. His doctor placed him of a 30 gram of sugar diet per day. Since then his sugar has been going from between 88 and 145. He is now going to have a glucose tolerance test done. What is a normal blood sugar and how high does it have to be in order to tell if you are a diabetic or not?

Answer:

Proper procedure for performing a glucose tolerance test includes being sure the person has not been carbohydrate restricted prior to performing the test. If an 8 year old child cannot maintain normal blood sugar with only 30 grams of sugar intake a day, he has diabetes and does not need a glucose tolerance test.

[Editor's comment: I am very uncomfortable with a physician's talking about "borderline" diabetes, especially in an eight year old child. I am even more uncomfortable with the advice to have a glucose tolerance test done. Perhaps you should talk to your physician about a referral to a pediatric diabetes team for their advice. WWQ]