I am on 4 mg of Amaryl [a sulfonylurea diabetes pill for Type 2 diabetes]. I had a fasting blood test this A.M. that came out 138. If I double my dose and have another test in a few days, what do you think will happen? I'm thinking of taking a pill morning (normal) and one at night (extra) or maybe two in morning. I'm 55 years old, 69 inches tall, 250 pounds. I apologize for this intrusion, but my job is on the line.

First of all, no one can put your job on the line because of diabetes: that's discrimination, and it's against the law. There are only a very few exceptions, and none that I can think of that a blood sugar level of 138 would be the deciding factor.

Second, I'm unclear if you're referring to home blood glucose monitoring or a lab blood sugar level. If you're not doing home sugar testing, you ought to be. You'll learn a lot about what other factors can cause high sugars and low for your case (besides taking the diabetes pill).

Finally, the decision to raise the dose of your pill should be between you and your physician. I really can't advise about what the effect of a bigger dose of the pill would be, as I don't have the details of your case.

Posted to Medications: Pills for Diabetes