From Ontario, Canada:

I am in my 23rd week of pregnancy and my doctor has requested the glucose test. I have been told that this test is no longer a standard procedure, and have friends that have not even taken this test. I have no symptoms and would like to know if this test is absolutely necessary.

In the United States the current standard of care is to test pregnant women for glucose intolerance at about 24-28 weeks gestation. Elsewhere this may not be the case. Some physicians may be more selective in whom they test by looking for particular risk factors. Speak with your obstetrician further if you have concerns.

Posted to Family Planning