Question:

From Ottawa, Ontario, Canada:

My 9 year old niece was recently diagnosed as having Type 1 diabetes. She was very active in sports, especially swimming and soccer. I want to encourage her by letting her know that famous athletes and celebrities that she has heard of have had diabetes. A similar question was asked in the Exercise and Sports section but the list of Athletes was very short and they weren't anyone that a nine year old girl could relate to. If you have any ideas where I could get a more comprehensive list of celebrities who have diabetes, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Answer:

Angela & Rose Goode have a "Famous Diabetics" webpage, which includes musicians, actors, comedians, scientists, writers, "the infamous," and many others. Athletes are represented under "Sports." I can't vouch for the accuracy of the information presented.

WWQ

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.