From South Carolina, USA:

I am a 32 year old female. I am a diabetic. My doctor tells me that the normal range for blood sugar is 60-120. Other people tell me that the normal blood sugar is 80-120. What is the normal range for blood sugar?

I have jokingly said that if you take a dozen endocrinologists, and lock them in a room, and tell them they can't come out till they decide what a normal blood sugar level is, that sooner or later, the lone survivor will come out with the answer.

In June, 1997, the Expert Committee on the Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus announced its opinion of what blood sugar levels are normal (and what levels are not!). In their opinion, a normal fasting plasma glucose is less than 110 mg/dl (6.1 mmol/L); 2 hours after getting a lot of sugar during a Oral Glucose Tolerance Test, the level should be less than 140 (7.8). (See Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes for more details.) Interestingly, the Committee didn't answer what is the lowest blood sugar that should be considered normal, so you and your doctor can talk over why he/she chose the number that was mentioned to you.

And remember, just because a range of numbers is considered "normal" for most people, it may not be normal for other people. For example, the numbers expected during pregnancy are a bit different, and your target blood sugars for control of your diabetes will probably be different from "normal."