Question:

From Tecumseh, Ontario, Canada:

My son was diagnosed at 7 with Type 1. He is currently 8, been diabetic for 4 months. He recently is screaming and yelling when it is shot time (in A.M. and P.M.) indicating it hurts too much. It hurts when the shot is administered and for a moment afterwards. It is getting harder and harder to make him take his shot. Is there something wrong with my administration or is there something with the needles, insulin, etc.? He was fine for a while; mind you he didn't like them, but he did not physically fight me. Any helpful hints or just help, would be appreciated.

Answer:

Do you keep your insulin in the fridge? Sometimes this can make it "sting" when injected. Where is the site on his body where the shot is given? I recommend the abdomen as it is less sensitive to most children. Do you reuse needles? This can make injections a bit more uncomfortable if the needle is dull.

It may just be that he is sick of having diabetes and being a bit oppositional. I have seen kids run down the hall screaming at injection time! Stay calm, and remind him that shots are not negotiable. I know this is a hard time but I cannot think that you are doing anything "wrong" in my view.

CMB

[Editor's comment: Sometimes using a device like the Inject-Ease® will make giving shots easier. WWQ]