From San Jose, California, USA:

Several months ago I started having symptoms of hypoglycemia, for which I've been following a high-protein, low-carb diet. The last couple weeks I've been having the following symptoms: constant thirst, urination, hunger, frequent dizziness and blurred vision, weight loss (10 pounds, and I want it back!)

I'm a slim, active, otherwise healthy 26-year-old female. There is a lot of diabetes (I think Type 2) in the extended family, but none in the immediate family. Is it possible to get Type 1 with only an extended-family history of Type 2? Am I just being paranoid? I haven't made a doctor's appointment yet because I don't have a doctor -- I'm working on that. Meanwhile, I'd appreciate any info you could give me.

First of all, at this stage you should check your urine for glucose and ketones. If only sugar or both are present, the diagnosis is diabetes and you should contact a doctor.