Question:

From San Jose, California, USA:

Several months ago I started having symptoms of hypoglycemia, for which I've been following a high-protein, low-carb diet. The last couple weeks I've been having the following symptoms: constant thirst, urination, hunger, frequent dizziness and blurred vision, weight loss (10 pounds, and I want it back!)

I'm a slim, active, otherwise healthy 26-year-old female. There is a lot of diabetes (I think Type 2) in the extended family, but none in the immediate family. Is it possible to get Type 1 with only an extended-family history of Type 2? Am I just being paranoid? I haven't made a doctor's appointment yet because I don't have a doctor -- I'm working on that. Meanwhile, I'd appreciate any info you could give me.

Answer:

First of all, at this stage you should check your urine for glucose and ketones. If only sugar or both are present, the diagnosis is diabetes and you should contact a doctor.