Question:

From Los Angeles, California, USA:

On the ABC evening news on February 25, 1998, they mentioned that my blood pressure medicine Norvasc [a calcium channel blocker] and diabetes don't mix. I've been unable to find any other reference to this. Any info or articles would be appreciated. Thanks!

Answer:

I called Norvasc's manufacturer, Pfizer, and found out that the ABC news story you quoted was about the following:

The New England Journal of Medicine March 5, 1998, Volume 338, Number 10, pages 645-52: "The Effect of Nisoldipine as Compared with Enalapril on Cardiovascular Outcomes in Patients with Non-Insulin-Dependent Diabetes and Hypertension" (Raymond O. Estacio, Barrett W. Jeffers, William R. Hiatt, Stacy L. Biggerstaff, Nancy Gifford, Robert W. Schrier).

The study is about an ACE-inhibitor (enalapril) versus a calcium-channel blocker (nisoldipine). The authors' conclusions are:

"In this population of patients with diabetes and hypertension, we found a significantly higher incidence of fatal and nonfatal myocardial infarction among those assigned to therapy with the calcium-channel blocker nisoldipine than among those assigned to receive enalapril. Since our findings are based on a secondary end point, they will require confirmation."

As you can see, your drug (Norvasc) wasn't studied. There's an obvious concern for people with diabetes if this study holds up in further investigation: is this an effect of only one calcium-channel blocker (nisoldipine) and one ACE-inhibitor (enalapril) or does it apply to other medications in the same class? It's way too early to tell.

(By the way, Pfizer is aware that there was a picture of a Norvasc container in the story, and isn't happy: apparently their lawyers are deciding what to do next.)

WWQ

Posted to Other Medications