My 10 year old has diabetes, diagnosed 6 years. I am interested in pursuing chromium picolate. Can you tell me more?

According to the Nutritional Recommendations and Principles for People with Diabetes Mellitus of the American Diabetes Association (ADA), the only know circumstance in which chromium replacement has any beneficial effect on glycemic control is for people who are chromium deficient as a result of long-term chromium-deficient parenteral nutrition. However, it appears that most people with diabetes are not chromium deficient and, therefore, chromium supplementation has no known benefit at all. Therefore, chromium supplementation for children with diabetes mellitus is not recommended until further testing is completed. This is especially important given the potential for unforeseen side effects that may develop from long-term dietary chromium supplementation.

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Alternative Therapies and Explanations