Question:

From Maine, USA:

My 15.5 year old friend was diagnosed with Type 1 when she was 4. She's on Humalog, etc. injections (4 times a day with her blood sugar testing), yet in the last month she has been neglecting her schedule and in the last 2 weeks has given less than 15 injections (7 of which her blood sugar read as "hi"). She asked me today to keep reminding/bugging her to stay on top of it because she knows she's starting to neglect it. I'm not exactly sure what to do; I am there for her, but it scares me to know how much she's been neglecting it. I don't know what it's like and I don't pretend to, but when I'm talking about my best friend's life, I'm going to take it extremely seriously. Please help as soon as possible while I still can help her.

Answer:

You sound like a very good friend indeed. Diabetes is not something that a lot of people your age understand. Your friend's diabetes is not your responsibility, but you can be supportive.

Have you asked her why she is taking such risks? Maybe she will confide in you that she is angry, sad, or frustrated with all that diabetes requires of her. It seems to me that her behavior is a way of asking for help. You are wise to be concerned; she is taking serious chances. Encourage her to return to taking good care of herself. Urge her to talk to her physician or health care team.

CMB

Posted to Behavior