From Dallas,Texas, USA:

I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes seven years ago. I was recently put on the Disetronic insulin pump. I have had a terrible time injecting the needle into my skin. My doctor prescribed a cream called EMLA which numbs the site in which the needle will reside. Is EMLA a safe substance?

EMLA is safe but has 2 drawbacks: 1) it is extremely expensive; 2) you need to cover the area with saran wrap after application and let it sit for 30-60 minutes before inserting the needle to have maximum effectiveness. Two other things you might try: 1) use an ice cube at the site -- this too will numb the area or 2) try using the Soft-serter sets from MiniMed (they will fit the Disetronic pump) and you can't feel the needle! It is inserted with a device like a "finger-sticker".