Question:

From Gander, Newfoundland, Canada:

My 7 year old son has diabetes. His older brother, who is 9, sometimes has high sugars. The highest they have been is 11.3 mmol [203 mg/dl]; this was after dinner. Other times when we check them before eating they may be 8 mmol [144 mg/dl] or higher. Does this mean that he is also developing diabetes?

Answer:

I would definitely share this information with your doctor, and watch for symptoms of high blood sugar (excessive urination and drinking, weight loss, etc.) You might also want to see if your son can be enrolled in the Diabetes Prevention Trials.

JW