Question:

From Waco, Texas, USA:

My wife's aunt is visiting with us. She lives in Germany. She is 62 years old and has had Type 2 diabetes for about 15 years. She does not use a blood testing meter - she only uses urine strips, which of course, are not that accurate. We have a 5 year old who has diabetes and we test him, so we also have been testing my wife's aunt. Her readings have been averaging 250 or more before meals. She weighs 170 pounds. She is taking [sulfonylurea diabetes pills] - two pills in the morning and one at night. We just took her reading and it was 317. Should we give her some insulin and if so, how much and what type - "R" or "N"?

Answer:

Unless she's acutely ill, don't rush into things! If she's acutely ill and has high sugars, contact a physician (yours or your wife's, perhaps) or an Emergency Room. Otherwise, ask your son's doctor for the names of some adult endocrinologists that your visiting relative might see.

WWQ