Question:

From Ohio, USA:

I am 14 years old; I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was 12. I have unstable blood sugar counts. My counts range from in the 30's to over 600 sometimes. I eat good, although I eat a lot. (I am a growing boy and need my nourishment.) I would like to know if puberty has a lot to do with a lot of my crazy sugar readings, and if it does will there be a long term affect on my body because of these? I check my urine for ketones, but it always comes up negative.

Answer:

First of all, it sound like you are doing a good job taking care of your diabetes, in that you are testing, checking for ketones, and taking your insulin. I'm sure the fluctuations in blood sugars are frustrating when you are doing so much work. Puberty is a time when all sorts of hormones are being released in your body, and most of these are not only helping you to grow and mature into a man, but they raise the blood sugars. As far as your eating, if you are growing, I don't doubt that you are hungry, plus high sugars make some people hungry. This is a time when you need to be followed by your diabetes team/doctor for advice on insulin adjustments, and guidance from the dietitian.

JW

Posted to Puberty