From New Zealand:

My last test results included a fructosamine test, which I was told is similar to a glycated hemoglobin. With a level of 275, what would have been my approximate Hba1C level at that time?

Glycated albumin or fructosamine had a rather brief period of being fashionable in the U.S., but as an alternative to glycated hemoglobin or HbA1c it has been overtaken by the availability of simple and reasonably accurate instruments like the Ames 2000.

Fructosamine remains popular in New Zealand because it is a significantly less expensive test to perform. If you can get access to the New Zealand Medical Journal (and my guess would be that it is in the Public Library), you will find in it an article called 'Assessing glycemic control in diabetes: relationships between fructosamine and HbA1C' by Braatvedt GD and others in the Department of Medicine in Auckland. It is in the December 1997 issue, specifically Volume 110, page 459.

The quote from it that answers your question is as follows: 'CONCLUSIONS: Fructosamine levels generally correlate well with HbA1C within a population but the value of HbA1C in an individual CANNOT be inferred with any reliability from the level of fructosamine, nor can the change in HbA1C be inferred from the change in fructosamine'.

My guess would be is that this article will soon lead to laboratories switching to the more internationally acceptable A1c test.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c