Question:

From Blue Ridge,Georgia, USA:

My 10 year old granddaughter has Type 1 diabetes. At what age can children get an insulin pump? Also, how near in the future is islet cell transplantation?

Answer:

Insulin pumps have been used in children of your granddaughter's age. You must remember, however, that a pump is not a cure and requires careful attention and close monitoring to produce the best control. Currently, as far as I know, transplants are only being used for people also needing a kidney. The drugs required to prevent rejection are extremely potent and can have serious side effects.

SS

Posted to Insulin Pumps and Research: Cure