From Blue Ridge,Georgia, USA:

My 10 year old granddaughter has Type 1 diabetes. At what age can children get an insulin pump? Also, how near in the future is islet cell transplantation?

Insulin pumps have been used in children of your granddaughter's age. You must remember, however, that a pump is not a cure and requires careful attention and close monitoring to produce the best control. Currently, as far as I know, transplants are only being used for people also needing a kidney. The drugs required to prevent rejection are extremely potent and can have serious side effects.

Posted to Insulin Pumps and Research: Cure