From Timisoara, Romania:

I am inquiring about a 14 year old orphan boy who is seen as a troubled case by many of the social workers here. I believe many of his problems stem from the root cause of Type 1 diabetes, such as irritability, frequent urination, bed wetting, and fatigue. Unfortunately, getting a test done here in Romania is a very complicated process, and much more so for an orphan. So I would like any information on other signs, etc., that I could look for to gather evidence to convince the authorities to have him tested.

As far as I can understand from your letter, it doesn't seem to me that he is actually suffering from Type 1 diabetes, an abrupt onset disease in young that generally, if not promptly treated with insulin, lead to ketoacidosis. I think that a simple (and cheap) morning urine checking for glucose and ketones is enough to exclude the diagnosis of diabetes in this case.