Question:

From Pennsylvania, USA:

On an 18 month old diabetic, we found the following chemistry profile: Bicarbonate 18.2 (normal 22-28); BUN/Creatinine 35.0 (normal 12-20). What is the reason for these abnormalities?

Answer:

I don't have quite enough data to answer your query precisely. But assuming you are well the bicarbonate level is a little low in relation to the laboratory's normal range. If your child were short of insulin at the time the test was taken that might account for it.

BUN and Creatinine are both used as indices of nitrogen load on the kidney but the former is more a reflection of protein intake that is either too high or incompletely excreted and creatinine levels are a more direct measure of kidney function.

Without knowing why these tests were done, I'm afraid I can't help much more and would suggest that you talk over the results with the doctor who ordered them.

DO'B