From Illinois, USA:

My son was diagnosed at 1 year of age. He is currently 2 years, 8 months. His diabetes has been a real rollercoaster. Ever since his diagnosis he has been sick with anything and everything. He runs a low grade fever 3 weeks out of a month and this makes it hard to control his sugar; the doctor has sent us to a infectious disease clinic to check things out, but they found nothing. I feel like there is not much more I can do: do you have any suggestions? I want my son to be healthy and have good management, but it seems there is more to his disease than we know, he has had this just since his diagnosis. Have you heard of anything like this before? I really need new input on this: I'm desperate to keep my son as safe as I can! (My son takes 2 - 3 shots a day and has been on Regular and is now on Humalog, he also takes NPH.)

You do not say if the clinic you take your child to is one in which you have access to a diabetes team, including a dietitian. You also do not mention what kind of eating habits your son has. Sometimes illness can be a problem if the child does not eat a healthy diet. I would recommend a visit with a dietitian who is familiar with children of this age to look into his eating pattern and habits. I can also say that children of this age are difficult to control overall because they are so sporadic in their activity and their changing food likes and dislikes. The book Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace by Betty Brackenridge & Richard Rubin may help you with difficult food issues.