Question:

From Illinois, USA:

I am a 29 year old male and was diagnosed about three months ago. I presented with the classical symptoms (excessive thirst, urination, slight weight loss) and was admitted to the hospital with a blood glucose reading of 561 (no ketones). I left the hospital after two days, taking 8N, 4R in the A.M. and 6N, 3R before dinner. Within two weeks I required no insulin and have been insulin free since then (2.5 months). I have changed my diet substantially and am exercising regularly for the first time in a long time. I am a 5 foot 10 inch, 150 pound Caucasian. I realize I am probably describing a typical Type 1 honeymoon but is it possible to be something else (what about Type 1B)? If it is a honeymoon, given my age and current status (my fasting and before blood glucoses are always under 100), how much longer can I expect this to last?

Answer:

I do agree when you say that very probably you're describing a typical Type 1 diabetes post-diagnosis honeymoon phase. Anyway, without knowing a little bit more about your family history for diabetes, your descent, and how the diagnosis of diabetes was made, whether you've been tested for antibodies or perhaps for basal and stimulated C-peptide or insulin, it's hard to be at all precise about other possibilities other than Type 1A autoimmune diabetes. As a matter of fact, Type 1B diabetes happens in people of African American or Hispanic descent and in many instances the need for continued insulin lasts only a short time with the subject testing negative for antibodies. The way to distinguish Type 1 diabetes between A and B is therefore to have a serum antibody test done. If this test results negative then besides Type 1B diabetes there are a number of much rarer forms of diabetes such as Maturity Onset Diabetes of Youth and the various Mitochondrial Diabetes.

Treatment for the antibody-positive Type 1A diabetes is always insulin and there are some good reasons (see previous answers about the diabetes honeymoon) for continuing to give it even in very small doses during the honeymoon period.

If you turn out to be antibody negative and are not of that particular descent I described before, you could have one of the other rare forms of juvenile-onset diabetes. They require very special labs for diagnosis and since an exact differential diagnosis between them doesn't really affect treatment, usually practice is to concentrate on whatever regimen keeps the blood sugar to normal as possible monitoring this with a periodic glycohemoglobin or HbA1c test.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Honeymoon