Question:

From California, USA:

Are you aware of any football camps for teens with diabetes? I am a school nurse and am working with a recently diagnosed teen, Type 1. He is very interested in attending a camp, and football is where his interest lies.

Answer:

I worked one summer at the Elliott P. Joslin Camp for boys with diabetes. It is very sports oriented, not just football. You can contact Joslin in Boston to get details.

JW

Additional comments from Patricia Larsen:

I do not know of any football camps for individuals with diabetes; however, that does not mean there aren't any out there. I also don't believe this individual necessarily has to go to a football camp where everyone has diabetes. There is no reason why he can't go to a football camp and partake in all activity as any other individual without diabetes would. The teen needs to know the general guidelines with regard to exercise and diabetes including how to prevent and treat hypoglycemia. His counselors or coaches at the camp need to know of his diabetes and be educated just as a school coach needs to be.

PL

Posted to Exercise and Sports