From North Carolina, USA:

My son was diagnosed with Type 1 a year and a half ago. He is 9 years old and weighs 50 pounds. He takes 10 N and .5-1 R at 6:30 A.M. depending on what his blood sugar is in the A.M. He takes 4 NPH and 0 R at dinner (6:00) unless he is over 250 then he gets some R. Very frequently he calls from school that he isn't feeling well around 9:30 A.M. and he will be 400-500 range. He usually has no ketones and by lunch his blood glucose will be down under 200. He usually isn't above 200 in A.M. I am very consistent about breakfast, eating low sugar cereals and other foods. He is a picky eater but we work hard to make good choices and have talked with a dietitian frequently. This happens whether he has a big breakfast or a small breakfast, it really doesn't matter. This will go on for a while then suddenly he will be on the low end for a week or so. Running blood glucose 60-150 all the time. It seems as though sometimes his body is making extra insulin and sometimes he isn't making any. Is this normal for a child and do we need to be concerned about the high and lows so frequently? Do you have any suggestions? All of his labs have been normal.

It sounds like you're "chasing" blood sugars rather than looking for patterns. I would ask your diabetes team about keeping the insulin consistent for a few days so you can see a pattern if his blood sugars are always high before lunch and mid-morning. You may need to always add either Regular or lispro insulin [Humalog®] at breakfast. Check with your diabetes team!