Question:

From North Carolina, USA:

My son was diagnosed with Type 1 a year and a half ago. He is 9 years old and weighs 50 pounds. He takes 10 N and .5-1 R at 6:30 A.M. depending on what his blood sugar is in the A.M. He takes 4 NPH and 0 R at dinner (6:00) unless he is over 250 then he gets some R. Very frequently he calls from school that he isn't feeling well around 9:30 A.M. and he will be 400-500 range. He usually has no ketones and by lunch his blood glucose will be down under 200. He usually isn't above 200 in A.M. I am very consistent about breakfast, eating low sugar cereals and other foods. He is a picky eater but we work hard to make good choices and have talked with a dietitian frequently. This happens whether he has a big breakfast or a small breakfast, it really doesn't matter. This will go on for a while then suddenly he will be on the low end for a week or so. Running blood glucose 60-150 all the time. It seems as though sometimes his body is making extra insulin and sometimes he isn't making any. Is this normal for a child and do we need to be concerned about the high and lows so frequently? Do you have any suggestions? All of his labs have been normal.

Answer:

It sounds like you're "chasing" blood sugars rather than looking for patterns. I would ask your diabetes team about keeping the insulin consistent for a few days so you can see a pattern if his blood sugars are always high before lunch and mid-morning. You may need to always add either Regular or lispro insulin [Humalog®] at breakfast. Check with your diabetes team!

SS