From Virginia, USA:

I was watching a "paid program" on television last night in which they were discussing a product called "Pancreas Tonic." The discussion focused on the following statement [statement taken directly from the TV program and]: "In breakthrough research pancreas tonic is proved to regenerate beta cells in pancreas islets, thereby restoring the normal insulin production of pancreas."

Please tell me something about this product. Is it possible that this could be a treatment for Type 1?

I have not heard of 'Pancreas Tonic' and there is no report on its properties in the Journals reviewed by the National Library of Medicine. I have however looked at the website at and from this it appears to be a mixture of Ayurvedic herbs for which no approval is presently required by the F.D.A. to substantiate any health claims. This product might have some placebo effect during the honeymoon period in Type 1 Diabetes; but I believe it has no place in the formal treatment and should under no circumstances be substituted for insulin.

There has recently been an interest in a protein which appears to promote islet cell regeneration in rats from pancreatic ductal tissue. This is not available commercially and in any case it is thought that any islets so regenerated in autoimmune diabetes would be destroyed by that same process.

Additional comment by the Editor:

See also: Pancreas Tonic is Not a Cure.

Additional comment added 23 January 1999
Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations