Question:

From New York, New York, USA:

I have been recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and I bought a glucose meter on the advice of my doctor 2 weeks ago. During the first few days I had readings one hour after eating at around 180 to 200. But I started exercising and eating well and my readings have been hovering at around 130 1 hour after eating and 100 2 hours afterwards. I was really bad twice and that's why I have this question. The first time I ate 2 eggs, sausages, french fries and a lot of ketchup. Afterwards I leisurely walked home for about 45 minutes and then took my readings on the meter. After 2 tries I was shocked that the reading was at 130. The second time was last night. I had 2 huge portions of meat loaf and was stuffed with it. Again my level one hour after eating was 136; at 2 hours it was at 99. Could the doctor have made a mistake in diagnosing me? I am not taking insulin or pills and using just diet and exercise. By the way, I had no exercise in both of my example except that brief walk. What are normal readings for healthy people without diabetes?

Answer:

It is difficult to answer your question exactly because you don't say how old you are or whether there is a family history of diabetes or a personal history of being overweight. Nor do you gives details of exactly what kind of a glucose tolerance test your doctor carried out.

A rough and ready screening test that we use in the clinic here is to set an upper limit for a normal fasting blood glucose at 105 mg/dl, then to send subjects out for a hamburger and at one hour set a limit of 140mg/dl. If the screening test is positive then we go to more specific tests.

In you case it sounds as though the initial fasting levels, assuming that they were reliably performed in a clinical laboratory, were indeed abnormal; but that subsequent ones were within normal limits. This could be a laboratory error problem so that it would be worth repeating the fasting test with a more precise instrument than a reflectometer. It is also possible that you are indeed diabetic; but that some of the time your pancreas continues to produce enough insulin to control the blood sugar; but that at other times, particularly if you are stressed there may not be quite enough.

Depending on your age it is also possible, if you are under 40 for this to be the earliest manifestation of Type 1 Diabetes, in which case you might talk to your doctor about getting an antibody test which would give you a definite answer. The telephone number for him to call is 1-800-425-8361. A negative test however would not mean that you don't have some form of Type 2 Diabetes. In the meantime I'd suggest continuing with a regimen of daily exercise and a careful diet that is low on free sugar and doesn't let you get overweight.

DO'B

Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections and Diagnosis and Symptoms