Question:

From Ankara, Turkey:

My friend's daughter is 12 years old and was diagnosed with Type 1 at the age of 9. Her main problem is that since then, her growth stopped. Her parents took her to many doctors and endocrinologists, here in Turkey, but till now no improvement in her situation is achieved. So would you be kind to advise us what to do. Do you know any special hospitals or doctors in U.S., Europe or any other country that might help the girl? Also I want to ask if the insulin pumps would be helpful for her?

Answer:

This is too difficult an issue to solve in the pages of Children with Diabetes. There are many possible reasons why growth may be poor in diabetes - the commonest is poor blood sugar control. I find it hard to believe that the endocrinologists won't have excluded most of the others. It's really up to them and your friend to decide what to do next.