I have had Type 1 diabetes for 9 years. I recently turned 19 and I had to leave my juvenile diabetes doctor. Now I am having problems locating a new doctor that my insurance will cover.

It seems that no matter what I do, my blood sugars are high whenever I wake up. When I go to bed they are around 150 or less, I eat a little bit of cereal, and I wake up and test at around 3:30 or 4 A.M. At that time they are in the low 100's but by the time I wake up, around 8:30 or 9 A.M., they are at the high 200's or sometimes even 300's.

What is going on? I am scared because there is no one else I can ask and I don't want to ruin my body.

It seems to me that you are doing your very best to take care of yourself. However, you do need a physician you feel comfortable with and can keep as a partner in your healthcare.

Did you ask your pediatric physician for a referral? Since you had a positive relationship with him, he may be able to assist you in finding a like minded individual. If not, I would canvass your area and ask others with diabetes who they work with and feel positive about, then see which of those your insurance will cover.

[Editor's comment: Your high sugars at dawn are probably related to either the dawn phenomenon or the Somogyi Effect. You'll have to talk these ideas over with a diabetes physician or diabetes nurse educator to decide which.

For more advice on how to find a new diabetes doctor, see Finding A New Diabetes Doctor. WWQ]

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Daily Care