From London, Ontario Canada:

I have been Type 1 diabetic for 40 1/2 years. I now have kidney disease. My last test show my protein or creatinine level (I'm not sure which one it was) was 3.5. The doctor said it should be no more than 1.5. Is it too late for me to try Dr. Atkins or Dr. Richard Bernstein's low carb diet? My doctor says this kind of diet would be too much protein and cause further damage to the kidneys. But Dr. Richard Bernstein wrote in his book that he also was a long term diabetic with kidney damage when he started low carbing. Do you know of any evidence that a low carb diet, which would lower blood sugars, would help or reverse some of the kidney damage?

I do not know of any research that says the high protein diet would be appropriate for someone with kidney damage. I am wondering if you could get in touch with a dietitian and your medical team and express your concerns to see if they have an idea of how to get blood sugars down. Maybe just a closer look at what foods you are eating and a modification in insulin would help you lower blood sugars without the risk of too much protein in the diet.

Posted to Complications and Meal Planning, Food and Diet