Question:

From Aberdeen, Washington, USA:

I am a 33 year old male with Type 1 diabetes diagnosed in 1994 when I was 30. Recently my doctor has added Glucophage [a pill used for treatment of Type 2 diabetes] to my program. I am taking 500 mg three times daily, but I have heard that Type 1's should not be taking this drug. I have not been able to find much information on this. Can you help? I am currently taking 4 shots a day, three of Regular and one of long-lasting.

Answer:

Glucophage [metformin] is a biguanide which acts to reduce the production of glucose from the liver. It also diminishes glucose absorption and increases peripheral utilisation of glucose. Thirty years ago or so when the small risk of lactic acidosis was first recognised many people said it was contraindicated in Type 1 Diabetes. These days that point of view has been modified and it is now common practise in some Type 1 cases, particularly older people who are somewhat difficult to control, to use metformin in addition to insulin. The contribution that this may make to better control is thought to outweigh the very small risk of lactic acidosis.

DO'B

[Editor's comment: The use of oral agents in patients who are truly Type 1 (based on antibody determinations or episodes of ketoacidosis) is not likely to do much good. But I'll sometimes add an oral agent (with full explanation of the side effects and unlikeliness of its helping much) in patients where I'm not sure if they are Type 1 or Type 2, especially if they are obese and/or presumably have some degree of insulin resistance (based on doses of insulin exceeding 1 unit/kg/day). WWQ]

Posted to Medications: Pills for Diabetes