Question:

From America On-Line:

I am the parent of 12-year old child with Type 1 diabetes, as well as a nurse educator. I would like a copy of the DCCT study results. Can you help?

Answer:

The main report of the results of the DCCT (Diabetes Control and Complications Trial) were announced on June 13, 1993, in a two-hour session at the Annual Meeting of the American Diabetes Association, and later published in the New England Journal of Medicine, 329(14), September 30, 1993. The original article is entitled The Effect of Intensive Treatment of Diabetes on the Development and Progression of Long-Term Complications in Insulin-Dependent Diabetes Mellitus.

An abstract of the article is available on the Internet, at http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/abstract/329/14/977.

You could also contact any medical library, and ask for a copy of the September 30, 1993 issue of the NEJM.

There have also been followup reports, looking at various issues in the study group, and the financial impact of "tight control" that have been published subsequently, and a few preliminary articles were published before the main article. Ask the librarian to search for articles authored by the "Diabetes Control and Complications Trial Research Group."

WWQ

Additional comments from Dr. Lebinger:

You may also be interested in reading the article describing separately the results of the adolescents who participated in the study in the Journal of Pediatrics, Volume 125, pages 177 - 188, August 1994. I summarized the findings in a previous answer. I do not believe this abstract is available on-line.

Posted to Research: Other