From San Jose,California, USA:

I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes when I was 28th week of pregnancy. What kind of harm will this do to my baby (brain, lungs, any neural tube defects)?

Gestational diabetes does not increase the risk of congenital abnormalities such as heart defects, neural tube defects or other defects associated with insulin dependent diabetes. However, gestational diabetes is associated with large babies and postpartum hypoglycemia in the newborn. If the pediatrician is aware of your condition, managing the newborn is fairly easy.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes