Question:

From Jamestown, North Dakota, USA:

My five-year-old daughter has had diabetes for over one year now. She was just diagnosed with shingles. Is there anything that I need to consider in dealing with these dual diagnoses, as I understand this is a common disorder among young diabetic children?

Answer:

I am not aware that shingles is more common in children with diabetes than in children without diabetes. Shingles is a reactivation of the chicken pox virus that remains dormant in the nerves of everyone who has ever had chicken pox or the chicken pox vaccine. Although shingles is more common in individuals with suppressed immune systems, it also occurs in completely normal individuals. Reasonably controlled diabetes should not increase the risk. Most likely it is just a coincidence that your child has had both problems.