From Paducah, Kentucky, USA:

I am 63 year old diabetic (Type 1), and have been using a major brand meter to check my blood sugar. My work places me in the jungles of South America and the Andes. The meter has been great and has taken a work-out, but unfortunately it requires a rather large drop of blood. Another brand of meter appears to be the answer. As you get older, it appears to get harder in obtaining a good size drop of blood to get the meter to work properly. Do you have any advise on the other brand, especially for the areas where I work?

1. If you're not already on aspirin, starting it would make it easier to bleed (and help protect your health). See Should People with Diabetes take Aspirin?

2. If your present meter is working, don't swap. Get a second meter of your new brand. Then use them both for a while. Then decide about whether to take the new one to the jungles.