Question:

From Dallas Texas, USA:

We are thinking about buying a new brand of monitor and wonder what you thought about it. My wife has diabetes, Type 2, and uses another monitor to keep up with her blood sugar. She is 77 years of age, has had diabetes about 22 years, and a strong personality.

Answer:

There are many brands of meters, with many different features. The most important features for your wife (Small size? Memory and computer download capabilities? Ease of use? Big visual display? Something else?) are not known to me and she should review the different meters with a diabetes nurse educator to see what meter is "best" for her. She should also look at Blood Glucose Meters at this website for some information to guide her discussions with her diabetes nurse.

By the way, meters should be free; there are lots of deals, rebates, and what-have-you, plus frequently we have freebies to give away at endocrinologists' offices and other diabetes centers. Don't spend any money on a new meter. The companies make plenty of money selling the strips, and frequently give away brand-new, excellent meters.

WWQ