From Columbus, Ohio, USA:

My 59-year-old father has been a diabetic for many years. About six months ago, he was put on Novolin 70/30 insulin; around the same time he fell ill. He lives in constant pain that he can only describe like a terrible sun burn. He says his skin hurts when anything touches it and also itches most of the time. He has been to see our family doctor and a neorologist on many occasions, but nobody has helped him yet or diagnosed the problem. I would appreciate any insight on what might be causing his problem.

Sounds like the best bet is diabetic neuropathy. Get your dad's permission to talk to his Family Practice physician and see if that's what the docs are thinking. If it is, then your dad should either return to the neurologist again and explain his continuing symptoms, or get another opinion from another neurologist, or see an endocrinologist who specializes in diabetes.

It's not clear from your letter if your dad's blood sugar is presently under control or not; if it's not, getting the blood sugar down should help a lot.