From California, USA:

My daughter is 10 years old and was diagnosed almost a year ago. She is still maintaining very good control with only one injection of 5 units of NPH daily in the A.M. We have also been supplementing heavily with nutritional supplements and following the standard dietary regimen (CHO counting, etc.). I would like to know if this long a honeymoon period is typical for her age? I would also like to know if you have any information or can point me to any studies regarding the effectiveness of the following supplements in either prolonging the honeymoon phase or preventing some of the long term complications of IDDM: Gymnema Sylvestre (used in Ayurvedic Medicine for diabetic treatment); Vitamin C ester with Co-Enzyme Q10 and various amino acids including Lysine and Proline; Oligomericproanthocyanadins (pycnogenol); Cat's Claw (herbal immune stimulant).

For a ten year old to be in good control almost a year after the onset of Type 1 Diabetes on such a small dose of NPH insulin is certainly unusual; but it happens from time to time and sometimes the honeymoon can last as long as two years.

As to the supplements, lysine is a well recognised stimulant of insulin production; but would not help in Type 1 Diabetes. Vitamin C has had some popularity as an antioxidant in supposedly fending off the effects of high blood sugars on the lining of small blood vessels. I could find nothing in the medical literature on the others except for Gymnema. The latter seems to have a well documented effect in delaying the absorption of glucose from the bowel.

As you can probably sense, I am not really an enthusiast for these kinds of remedies primarily because I feel that the overriding importance is to achieve good control with more orthodox means. At the same time I don't think the ones you mentioned do any harm and making this additional contribution may give you and the rest of the family a feeling of making a contribution that is outside what is imposed on you by orthodox medicine. So go ahead.

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations