Question:

From Paw Paw, Michigan, USA:

What information can you give me regarding a news release I heard about an ongoing test of an implanted insulin delivery device (capsule?) that supplies insulin on demand?

Answer:

There is a huge amount of research being done daily to improve the way we manage diabetes. Without knowing the exact story you are speaking of, two things come to mind. This is research being done with implantable insulin pump devices and also with encapsulating islet (insulin producing) cells so that they can produce insulin in response to glucose levels, but not be destroyed by the autoimmune process which causes Type 1 diabetes.

JW

Posted to Research: Other