Question:

From Pennsylvania, USA:

I have been diagnosed with diabetes and am currently controlling it with medication. Am I supposed to count carbohydrates or sugar and what should my daily carbohydrate count be? I am 52 years old, 5'4" and weigh 170 pounds. My doctor keeps telling me I am doing fine, but has not given me any other guidance.

Answer:

The answer to this question is tricky. You do not mention what you lipids (cholesterol and triglyceride levels) are and this makes a difference in how much carbohydrate you should have. As a general rule we say about 50-60% of the calories should be from carbohydrate, but that needs to be individualized based on such things as your lipids. Your height and weight would indicate that your doctor may want you to lose a little weight which would also alter the number of calories you need. I would recommend you ask for the name of a dietitian who works with people who have diabetes and enlist her/his help in formulating a meal plan that you can and will follow.

JM